Friday, October 19, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DIVINE!!



On this day in 1945, a little drag queen named Divine (aka Glenn Milstead) was born. 21 years later she made her fabulous debut in the John Waters short film Roman Candles.

I first heard of her while in high school rehearsal for South Pacific when Josh Conkel (the only other broadway kid I knew at the time, but who was actually comfortable talking about it...even if it did take him until the fall after graduation to come out) made some comment about how a situation was Pink Flamingo's-esk and how "Divine was rolling over in her enoromous grave."

While she's no longer with us I'm sure Divine, along Leigh Bowery and so many others are having a blast celebrating her 62nd birthday and doing the biggest bump of coke in the universe.

HURRAY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imagine my pleasant surprise when I googled my own name and found a picture of the late great Divine! I've made it.

Galore Podcast said...

:) Happy to oblige. Guess I pretty much just read your tea leaves to the whole damn world here on the blog. Thanks for being the first to introduce me to the magically trashy world of John Waters!